Tuesday 10 June 2014

CINNAMON & RAISIN BREAD

The first time I ever tasted cinnamon and raisin bread was when I went traveling across America, we were camping near the Grand Canyon and breakfast was being served, I grabbed a slice from the food container and so my breakfast was simple, but one that I have never forgotten. I remember how I had never tasted bread so sweet or delicious before, and before I knew it I had taken another slice. I told myself there and then that this was defiantly something I needed to learn to bake myself, as I couldn't possibly consider the thought of going back home never to experience this wonderful bread again. 



So nearly two years later, I've finally gotten round to forming a recipe and created my own version of that delectable loaf I sampled all the way from the USA. 

This is a very simple recipe I have conjured up, and to be honest I really don't know why its taken me that long, but better late than never I always say, so here it is...

Ingredients:

1 tbsp butter
1 cup (200g) caster sugar 
1 cup (170g) raisins 
2 cups (350g) self raising flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water 

Method:

STEP 1:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees

STEP 2:
Place butter, sugar, raisins, and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.

STEP 3:
Set aside and allow to cool 

STEP 4:
Once cooled, add flour and cinnamon and stir until everything is combined together

STEP 5:
Bake in a lined loaf tin for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

STEP 6:
Allow to cool, then slice, serve and enjoy. 



VIDEO RECIPE:


So there you have it, my very easy, simple and quick take on a cinnamon and raisin loaf. If you want to give this recipe a go then don't forget to tweet me your finished masterpieces! 

Baking Twitter: 
https://twitter.com/Rachelscakeco

Personal Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Rachelward303

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/catalow333

HAPPY BAKING! 
Rachel Ward

6 comments:

  1. First loaf went to garbage since I used regular flour - my bread did not rise (I'm new at baking). Second loaf came out really good. I used regular flour plus baking powder and salt. I also added some cranberries and cut up few prunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad to hear your second attempt was better, that's the thing with baking its all about learning from your mistakes. Cranberries sounds like a amazing addition ill be sure to try that next time. Thanks for the tip !

      Delete
  2. Tried it and it was awesome My husband finished half a loaf within 20 min ! I used mixed fruits and orange essence and the loaf was fruity and delicious ! A very simple, quick and delicious recipe !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know the feeling I can easily finish of the entire loaf within a short space of time. Im glad you enjoyed it and happy to hear it turned out well.

      Delete
  3. Hey Rachel...
    I followed your recipe exactly.but, my batter came out much looser than yours.
    Also, I have never baked anything at 180 degrees?? But, I tried it any way!
    At 50 minutes it is no where near being done??
    What did I do wrong..help!!
    I am 75 and been baking and cooking for a long time butttt,
    I am really stumped???🤔🥴

    ReplyDelete